Welcome to The National Center on Time & Learning’s Database of Expanded-Time Schools
LAST UPDATED 2013 - 2014 School Year
The National Center on Time & Learning has compiled this unique database of U.S. public schools to catalogue and track those that operate with substantially more time per day and/or more days per year (compared to a neighboring public school) for all enrolled students.
Criteria for inclusion in the database are as follows:
- A baseline school day of at least 7 hours (i.e., within the top quartile of schools nationwide, according to the Schools and Staffing Survey)
- If a longer day, at least 30 minutes longer than a comparison public school
- If a longer year, at least 10 days longer than a comparison public school
- In a small number of cases, the above criteria are relaxed slightly if the school operates with at least 70 more hours/year than a comparison public school
Features of the database include:
- Basic information about each school for various school years and school schedule information, as collected and verified by NCTL.
- Demographic data for various years, drawn from the U.S. Department of Education's Common Core of Data. (For each year of our research data, we provide the closest available demographic data, normally from the same data year. For 2013-2014 we are currently providing the associated 2012-2013 data, until the matching year's data set becomes available.)
Researchers or other interested parties can download database data into csv files from the search results page.
If you know of schools that should be included in the Expanded-Time Schools Database or identify information for individual schools that may be incorrect, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org